Murdoch Announcements & Events

  • Login

Job-Ready Graduates Package

Published: 8th June 2022

In 2022, the Government is introducing some changes under the Job-Ready Graduates Package which will impact all Australian Universities.


As from 1 January 2022, under this legislation, you will need to meet certain conditions if you are a domestic student with a Commonwealth supported place and/or accessing a HELP loan to defer your fees:

  • You need to engage and actively participate in your studies.
  • You need to maintain a course completion rate of at least 50% once you have already attempted eight or more units in a bachelor level or higher course (or four or more units in a higher education course lower than a bachelor course.)
  • You will have seven years of full-time study in a Commonwealth supported place as Student Learning Entitlement (SLE).

These changes will apply to commencing students in 2022 and continuing students from 2023 for any units undertaken from 1 January 2022 onwards. 

What do these changes mean for you?

As a student who is enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place and/or accessing a HELP loan to defer fees, you would need to pass at least 50% of your total units or you will reach the “low completion rate”. If you are assessed as having a low completion rate, you will lose access to Commonwealth assistance.

If you reach a low completion rate, your options will be:

  • To pay upfront for any subsequent units and passing more than 50% of your total units to get back into your Commonwealth supported place or accessing a HELP loan.
  • To transfer to a new course for which you are more academically suited.
  • Apply for retrospective withdrawal for the failed or withdrawn units not to be counted towards your completion rate. Note: You will need to provide evidence of special circumstances which prevented you from passing or completing those units.

To help you understand the Job-Ready Graduates Package and its implications, we have put together a list of FAQs. You can also access this page for more information on Government support.

Information is also available on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website 

How will Murdoch University assist you throughout your studies?

We will be monitoring your academic performance throughout your course and steps will be taken to ensure that you are notified of your course progression. We will also make sure that you remain actively engaged in your studies and have access to adequate support to help you achieve your best.

You should regularly check your student email for updates. 

Services to help you succeed

  • Discuss your progress with a myMurdoch Advice Student Success Advisor, who can help identify strategies to improve outcomes.
  • Contact your Academic Chair, you’ll find their details in the course structure of the handbook for study plan assistance and academic advice.
  • If you require support with academic literacy, numeracy or study skills, see our learning and study resources or book an appointment with a myMurdoch Advice Student Success Advisor.
  • If you are experiencing difficult personal circumstances, the Murdoch University Health Counselling Service can offer support. This is a free, confidential service with professional counsellors.