Published: 19th June 2020
I hope your online exams and final assessments are going well. As we approach the mid-year break, I wanted to take a moment to provide an update on the Student Support Package.
Following a successful take-up of the Student Support Package in Semester 1, I am pleased to let you know we will continue to offer this support in Semester 2. The University is committed to providing support for as long as COVID-19 impacts our student community. Murdoch is continuing to review the situation and will adapt the Student Support Package as needed.
Working with the Murdoch Student Guild, we have distributed more than 6000 Technology Bursaries, we have issued fortnightly Essentials Bursaries (Coles food vouchers) to over 2390 students, provided over 1350 Student Assistance Fund payments and 110 IT equipment loans throughout Semester 1.
If you accessed this support, we sincerely hope it has eased your transition to online learning and assisted you to complete your studies this semester. Applications for the Student Assistance Fund and the Technology Bursary for Semester 1 have closed, re-opening for Semester 2 in early August.
Despite the anticipated return of many on-campus activities, we understand the personal and financial impacts of COVID-19 will be long-lasting. For this reason, we will continue to offer support throughout Semester 2.
Student Support Package - Semester 2, 2020
- Technology Bursary: $100 one-off payments will be available to all Murdoch students, including those who received the payment in Semester 1, to assist with additional technology needs in Semester 2. Applications will re-open on Monday 27 July.
- Essentials Bursary: The Essentials Bursary (fortnightly $50 Coles voucher) will continue for eligible international students during the mid-year break. It is important that you enrol in Semester 2 to remain eligible during the break.
- Student Assistance Fund: Applications for Study Support and Extraordinary Support will re-open on Monday 3 August. Payments to eligible students will begin from Monday 23 August. Further details and eligibility criteria will be announced closer to this date.
- IT Equipment Loan: Access to the loan of laptops and wireless internet dongles will continue in Semester 2. More information will be released closer to semester.
- Academic Safety Net: The Academic Safety Net will continue to apply to your studies in Semester 2, allowing you to focus on achieving the best possible grade.
As always, Murdoch’s highest priority is safeguarding your physical and mental health and wellbeing, while maintaining your access to high-quality learning and teaching, ensuring that no student is disadvantaged at this time.
I hope you have a safe and restful semester break.
Yours in friendship,