Published: 26th July 2021
In 2020, we were all impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and experienced uncertainty. Throughout the year, a key focus for Murdoch University was ensuring all students could continue learning without fear that your long-term academic record would be negatively affected.
The Academic Safety Net was introduced to identify impacted grades and to protect your grade point average (GPA) from any negative impact due to the challenging circumstances and changes in learning conditions.
In 2021, we are still experiencing some uncertainties. We recognise there may still be an impact on your studies. As such, the Academic Safety Net will be applied in 2021.
The goal of the Academic Safety Net 2021 is to get to a new normal state and will be applied somewhat differently than during 2020 – Academic Safety Net 2021 will only provide protection against fail grade/s.
- If you engage with your studies, but happen to fail a unit in 2021 it will be changed to the special AS – Academic Safety Net grade.
- The Fail grade will be excluded from the calculation of your GPA
- The Fail grade will not be recorded on your transcript. The special AS – Academic Safety Net grade will show on your transcript.
- We will continue to monitor your progress even though we will not record fail grades for teaching periods in 2021. As always, we want to discuss the next steps and link you with tailored support and advice for future studies.
- There is an exception for some practicum units required for professional accreditation, the fail grade for these units will stay in place
We are working on an automated system to streamline Academic Safety Net for 2021. We will advise you when this occurs with further details. If you happen to have failed a unit in a previous teaching period in 2021, please don’t worry. Academic Safety Net 2021 will still apply to you.
If you have any questions about Academic Safety Net, please contact: