Published: 3rd April 2020
Therefore, if you engage with all your learning but happen to fail a unit this trimester, it will not be recorded on your transcript or negatively affect your Grade Point Average.
A few things to keep in mind with the Academic Safety Net:
- The Academic Safety Net doesn’t impact academic standards and grading schemes (e.g. Pass, Credit, Distinction, High Distinction). If you’re studying an Ungraded Pass/Fail unit, that will remain the same.
- You must still engage in the unit assessments. If you don’t submit or participate in unit assessments that have a combined weighting over 50% of the final mark, the DNS (Failure to Submit) grade will apply as per usual.
- If you are awarded a supplementary assessment and do not pass, the supplementary fail grade will not be recorded on your transcript or negatively affect your Grade Point Average.
- We are aware of the disruption to study caused by COVID-19 and we will continue to monitor your progress even though we will not record fail grades in this semester. As always, we want to discuss next steps and to link you with tailored support and advice for future study.
- There is an exception for some practical units that are required for professional accreditation. Fail grades for these units will stay in place. If this applies to you, your Head of Discipline will advise you.
This decision in no way changes Murdoch’s high academic standards but safeguards you against the impact of the current situation on your learning and allows you to focus on making your best effort in your study.